Do you like to write? Are you passionate about local history (southeast Michigan)? Are you interested in promoting tourism within our region? Can you seek out interesting topics, research them thoroughly and deliver a concise but interesting written account?
If so, Hometown History Tours needs you!
What we need
Hometown History Tours is seeking freelance writers for general interest blog posts related to interesting people, places, events, and attractions related to Southeast Michigan history*.
We’re seeking a couple of writers who can supply us with one to three articles per month. Topics of interest include: labor, black history, automotive, historic homes/neighborhoods, old commercial buildings still in use today, local businesses with a long history, UGRR, arsenal of democracy, music, industries no longer around, attractions, etc.
Every community has tons of interesting stories. Please help us tell them!
This is NOT keyword, SEO writing. While Hometown History Tours will insert appropriate tags and keywords, we want interesting articles on local topics that will be enjoyed by our readers, not articles written primarily to attract search engines.
Pay is $15 per post for articles of 300 to 500 words. We pay an additional $2 for one time use of any photos taken by you included with the article. Author byline is given as well as a brief bio statement at the end of the post. If’ you’d like, we can also include a link to a blog or website.
Pay increases to $17.50 per post after 5 published articles and $20 after 10.
Payment is made monthly on the 15th and 30th for articles published prior to those dates. Payment can be made by paypal or check.
- Articles must be original content and never published before. (I’m open to articles you’ve researched and published elsewhere as long as you’ve changed them up substantially so that they are not exactly as previously published).
- We accept articles which require minor editing. Posts requiring major rewrites will be sent back to author for changes to be made before acceptance.
- Hometown History Tours is open to article suggestions or we are happy to assign topics.
How to apply
Please email Karin Risko at k[underscore]risko[at]yahoo[dot]com the following:
- Three short writing samples of nonfiction, general interest writing or a link to your blog/website which offers samples of this style of writing
- A short note on why you would like to be a blogger for Hometown History Tours as well as what we can expect from you.
*Main focus of Hometown History Tours is articles relating to subjects of interest in Monroe, Washtenaw, Wayne, Livingston, Oakland and Monroe Counties. Will consider articles dealing w/people, places, events from Hillsdale, Jackson, Lenawee, Ingham, Shiawassee, Genesee, Lapeer and St. Clair counties as well.
2 thoughts on “Wanted: bloggers with passion for local history”